How to Get to Angeles City – Southern Cross Shuttle Service
This is the scheme of maneuver that I use to get to Angeles City from Manila Airport. The route has always worked good for me. It helps break up the trip after a long flight.
Here are the directions up front:
- Exit Terminal 3 at NAIA and turn right. Go down to to Bay 11 / 12 and cross the street. Jump in a regular taxi. The taxis are white in color.
- Tell the driver you are going to UN Avenue (United Nations Avenue) across from the U.S. Embassy in Ermita. Your final destination is the Southern Cross Hotel on Del Pilar Street.
- At UN Avenue, take a right.
- At the first stoplight, turn right onto Del Pilar Street.
- The Southern Cross Hotel is on your right, just before the 7/11.
- Enjoy a COLD draft beer in the lounge at the Southern Cross Hotel. The bar has decent WiFi (13 Mbps down / 6 Mbps up) so you can catch up on emails.
- Take the Southern Cross Shuttle Bus to Angeles City at 3:30 P.M. for 600 Pesos ($11.71 USD).
The taxi from Terminal 3 to the Southern Cross Hotel cost me 159 Pesos ($3.10 USD) the last trip. I gave the driver 200 Pesos and he was happy.
The Southern Cross Shuttle Bus goes to the Brass Knob Hotel on Fields Avenue in Angeles City. That’s near Eruptions Bar. In my experience, the shuttle has always dropped me off at my hotel—curbside service. For 600 Pesos, you can’t beat it.
The bus does make one rest stop about an hour into the journey. It’s a ten-minute break. There are restroom facilities, a convenience store, and several fast food restaurants at the stop.
Sometimes the shuttle will be a Toyota van. It’s nice and the AC blows cold. If there are a lot of passengers, they will break out the big bus. Personally, I love the bus. It’s much more comfortable. It’s a roll of the dice on which one you’ll ride on.
New Bus Service from Terminal 3 Direct to Angeles City
This bus service started in the latter part of 2017. I just now found out about it in June 2018. If you want to go straight to Angeles City from Terminal 3, this is the new best option. It’s only 350 Pesos.
Fly the Bus Shuttle Service – Another Option
Just around the corner from the Southern Cross Hotel is the Swagman Hotel. It’s only about a three-minute walk. If you walk to the 7/11 and turn right, the Swagman is down on the right.
A transport service called Fly the Bus runs shuttles to Angeles City as well. The times are 11:30 A.M., 3:30 P.M., and 8:30 P.M.
Fly the Bus runs a shuttle from Angeles City to Manila at 8:00 A.M., 12:00 P.M. noon, and 3:00 P.M.
Southern Cross Hotel – Room Rates
If you’re tired as hell and need a break, just grab a room at the Southern Cross Hotel. The building is a bit dated and it’s certainly not the Hilton. However, the place has a lot of character. The lounge has live music at night but I think that may only be on the weekends.
You can hit the L.A. Cafe (few blocks away) for some action at night and then get some sleep. Check out at noon the next day, grab lunch in the lounge, and ride the shuttle at 3:30 P.M.
I always book a room at the Southern Cross Hotel on Agoda, but here are the rates posted at the front desk:
The Southern Cross Hotel – Contact Info
- The Southern Cross Hotel
- 1125 MH Del Pilar Street
- Ermita Manila 1000
- (02) 521 2013 or +63 921 506 0019
If you have any questions, leave me a comment below and I’ll try to answer them.